Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Monster Returns

Over the past two weeks Sam has started waking at night for increasing amounts of time. Last night he woke up at 11:30 pm and he has been awake ever since. We have not changed medications or supplements and we have not changed his routine. I knew we would be back here again. Every night since the behavior plan was put in place I have been going to bed with my fingers crossed. It started with middle of the night wake ups. I would take him to the bathroom just in case and then put him back to bed. Each day his level of protest grew. As he became more upset during the night it got harder for him to go back to sleep. Last night he went to bed at 8 and woke up at 11:30. Then he tried to come out of his room every 30 minuted or so. Finally, he gave up trying to come out at about 3 and settled for making noises and kicking his wall. At 5 he came out again and he was done for the night.

I am pretty much out of ideas. We have a routine, he gets lots of outside time most afternoons, he had plenty to eat, his room is a good temperature, he has a white noise machine. . so now what? I really am not convinced it is worth continuing to give him risperdal if is isn't going to help him settle down when he really needs to. I am going to call the neurologist but I don't know if this is one of her Saturdays at work. Not sleeping is not an option - for him or me. Clonidine? more melatonin?

2 comments:

M.J. said...

I think this not sleeping has something to do with the time of year. My daughters are also starting to do the wake up in the middle of the night routine again - 5 nights in a row and counting.

I wish I knew what to tell you.

KAL said...

I'm so sorry. I know the desperation you are probably feeling. The risperdal definitely should be making him sleepy, maybe your dr. can up the dosage or combine it w/clonidine. This has really been the magic bullet for John, as you know, but I know every child's response is different. I also give John melatonin right before bed. I hope your neurologist has some good ideas. Hang in there.