Sunday, December 13, 2009

Curcumin - Straws - Melatonin

Curcumin
The newest addition to our supplement routine is Curcumin extract. I read a number of positive reviews of it so I checked with our doctor. She thought it would be a good addition. Supposedly it is anti-viral, anti-yeast, natural chelator, blah, blah, blah. I read a lot about it before making the purchase and it is very safe. In addition, it has been found to help a number of other medical conditions.

It is not a particularly expenive supplement but, of course, I had to buy the one from Lee Silsby that is supposedly formulated in a 'special" way so it cost a bit more. It is amazing how easy it can be to get the parents of autistic children to spend money.

Sam had a little trouble with bowels movements the first few days. It seemed to make him go and go. Not loose or anything like that, just frequent. He had a couple of accidents but he bounced back soon. I can't say I have seen any major changes yet. He has had good reports from school and his speech therapist said he seemed more emotionally connected. I am reluctant to attribute that to a supplement without giving it more time.

I am giving biomed a little bit longer. Sam will be 5 in April and if I haven't seen any major changes by then I am begging for meds. I never thought I would even have to consider medicating my child but here we are. He can't stop stimming. It is so distracting and addictive to him that it prevents learning and appropriate behavior.

Straws

Sam's current obsession is straws. He chews them, bends them, and drops them into various cracks. If it is warm enough to go outside, he drops them through the deck boards. If he is inside, he goes upstairs and drops them down the sides of my sweater trunk on the upstairs landing. I wish he likes something more appropriate but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. Hours and hours of home therapy and the kids still won't play with a friggin' toy. Unless of course he is throwing it. He is happy to throw toys.

Melatonin

Two years ago, the developmental pediatrician recommended melatonin for Sam's sleep problems. I know it is natural and safe but I couldn't bring myself to give it too him. I was petrified of giving him anything that induces sleep. He often wakes and bounces on his bed for hours. Usually he eventually goes back to sleep. About 2 weeks ago he started running out of his room and wanting to "play" at 2 or 3 in the morning. That, on top of the fact that the baby hasn't slept through the night in over a year, wore me down. I gave him melatonin last week and it worked like a charm. He slept peacefully all night. He woke early but well-rested. I hoped a week would re-set him and so I didn't give it to him last night. He woke up briefly but overall he slept well. I didn't give it to him tonight either so I am a little anxious to see how he will do. I don't know whether he will need melatonin most nights or just every so often like a reset button.

No comments: